A display at Leamington Art Gallery and Museum will celebrate the 10th anniversary of Leamington Football Club reaching the first round proper of the FA Cup.
During the 2005/06 football season Brakes went on the most successful cup run of their modern incarnation, defeating five teams to reach the first round proper of the FA Cup.
On November 5 2005, they faced Colchester United – a professional team six leagues above them – losing 9-1 but scoring a spectacular goal courtesy of Richard Adams.
A “Brakes Fluid” beer bottle and a match-day shirt are among items that the team manager at the time Jason Cadden has donated to the gallery.
These will be displayed alongside items including a signed match football and programme from the day – as well as items made available by the club (framed signed match shirts) and the Brakes Trust (DVDs and the restored Leamington Town shirt).
A video made at the time by Brakes Videos documenting the cup run will also be shown.
There will be a place for people to share their memories of the day.
Senior curator Vicki Slade said: “It was a fantastic achievement for Leamington Football Club to reach the first round proper of the FA Cup, and a wonderful occasion for the town.
“It’s only fitting that ten years on we celebrate this.
“We’re very grateful to Jason Cadden for generously donating and lending items from his personal collection, which has made this display possible.”
Vicki added her thanks to the Club and the Trust: “Thank you so much for loaning the football shirts, they’ll make a great addition to the display!”
The exhibition runs from Tuesday 6th Oct to Sunday 6th Dec’15.
Here are links to the match reports of the cup run:
- 27 Aug’05 Preliminary Round v Sutton Town 0-0
- 30 Aug’05 Preliminary Round Replay @ Sutton Town 2-2 aet, 9-8 penalties
- 10th Sep’05 1st Qualifying Round @ Kidsgrove Athletic 1-0
- 24th Sep’05 2nd Qualifying Round v Oadby Town 2-2
- 27th Sep’05 2nd Qualifying Round Replay @ Oadby Town 2-2- aet, 4-2 penalties
- 8th Oct’05 3rd Qualifying Round v Woodford United 2-0
- 22nd Oct’05 4th Qualifying Round @ Ossett Town 3-2
- 5th Nov’05 1st Round proper @ Colchester United 1-9
And here is the on-line version of the highlights from Brakes Videos:
Videoing the matches during the cup run was a real team effort, the people involved were:
- Sarah Beamish: Oadby Tn (H) 2nd half.
- Paul Edwards: Sutton Tn (H) 1st half.
- Andy Jenkins: Oadby Tn (H) 1st half and extra camera for Wodford Utd.
- Phil Kitchen: extra camera for Kidsgrove Athletic (A), Woodford Utd, and Ossett Tn. All our match, feature and interview camera work for Colchester Utd.
- Nick Rogers: Sutton Tn (H) 2nd half, Oadby Tn (A), Woodford Utd and Ossett Tn.
- Daniel Wearden: Sutton Tn (A) and Kidsgrove Athletic (A).
The Intro from the 2005-06 Highlights DVD set – graphics by Phillip Rogers.
The build-up to the match @ Layer Road.
The media coverage of the Brakes Cup run on BBC and Sky.